Crab Imperial Appetizer is an elegant appetizer, and tastes like it came from a lovely fancy restaurant. They’re the perfect appetizer for a special occasion like New Year’s Eve, for any holiday entertaining, or for a football party!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
This crab filled appetizer is nice and easy to make. Just some simple chopping, stirring, and a little baking.
I found this Crab Imperial Appetizer from my friend Michelle at A Dish of Daily Life.
A Dish of Daily Life is a food and travel blog that specializes in easy-to-make tasty healthy recipes, helpful how-to’s, travel adventures, and tips and tidbits of her family’s daily life.
Michelle recently had surgery, and she’s going to be recuperating for a while. So, a group of blogger friends decided that we wanted to wish her a speedy recovery and send lots of blog love to her by sharing her recipes and sending readers over to her blog!
You’ll see all the other blogs involved in this get well wish, as well as the recipes they are making:
- Easy Crab Dip Recipe made by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Seafood Bisque made by An Affair from the Heart
- Marinated Olives made by Take Two Tapas
- Refried Beans made by Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish
- Lemon Herb Chicken with Roasted Potatoes made by Hostess At Heart
- Red Quinoa & Butternut Squash salad made by My Life Cookbook
- Italian Panini made by Full Belly Sisters
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup made by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Italian Bowtie Pasta made by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pink Vodka Sauce made by Lady Behind The Curtain
- Homemade Taco Seasoning made by Bowl Me Over
- Southwestern Bean Dip made by Aunt Bee’s Recipes
This recipe is a special treat for me to share with you today.
See, it not only is a great recipe, but I’m sharing it to send some love to Michelle.I hope that you will hop over and send some love her way while she heals.
Looking for other great crab appetizers?
Crab is such a popular seafood! So delicious and can be used in so many dishes. Here are some of my favorite appetizers using the Crustacean: Crab stuffed potatoes, Crab stuffed mushrooms, Hot baked crab dip, and Crock pot crab dip.
Check them all out, and let me know what you think!
As for the details of the recipe, please feel free to use any hot sauce you wish. I used Sriracha, and it was delicious! Any family favorite will work in this; it’s just a small dash.
For the crab meat, I used canned refrigerated lump crab meat from the grocery store. Of course, fresh would be delicious, and the next ti
me I have some fresh crab meat, I intend on making this Crab Imperial Appetizer again. Here’s my guide to how to cook fresh Dungeness Crab.
What kind of bread should I use?
I wasn’t able to find Brioche at my grocery store, so I used Sheepherder Bread, as it’s a nice soft white bread. Any good quality white bread will work. Just cut the crusts off and you’re good to go.
Can I make this ahead?
This is a great make ahead appetizer for a party or family gathering. Simply make the crab filling, keep it in a tightly covered container in the fridge for up to a couple days.
When you’re ready, bake and fill the pastry shells.
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Crab Imperial Appetizer Recipe
Crab Imperial Appetizer
- ¾ cup brioche bread diced into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 8 oz. crab meat
- 1 tablespoon shallot finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay or Cape Cod seasoning
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper diced small
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives sliced
- 12 pre-baked puff pastry shells
- Follow the instructions on your puff pastry cups and prebake, about 18-20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 300° F. (If you just prebaked your puff pastry shells, you’ll be bringing your oven temperature down to 300° F, as they will be prebaking at a higher temperature.)
- In a small bowl, combine the bread cubes and Heavy Cream. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes at room temperature. Add hot sauce and mix thoroughly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients including the brioche bread mixture. Make sure to check the crab meat for bits of shell or cartilage.
- Mound the crab mixture into the prebaked puff pastry cups on a baking sheet. Cook for 5-10 minutes to warm the filling.
- Garnish with additional chopped chives or parsley if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.