Want to get your kids (and maybe your spouse!) to eat more veggies? This is a great way to do that! This Fried Rice will set you up for success in your healthy eating habits for the New Year, including adding more veggies into your meals!
I love to use frozen vegetables in my cooking. They store really well in the freezer, and that means they’re always handy when I want to add more veggies to a dish. I also love that the veggies are frozen right away, locking in nutrients and taste.
We always use leftover rice for this. In fact, now I make extra rice just so we will have leftovers rice to make fried rice. If your rice is leftover and cold from the fridge, warm it in the microwave for a minute so that it’s at least room temperature or warmer, it doesn’t have to be piping hot.
We usually use a blend of half white rice and half brown rice. The husband likes white rice and I like brown rice, but I’ve found that this blend works well for both of us. For this fried rice, any will work: all white, a blend or brown and white, or even all brown (but it will be more hippy if you use all brown!).
We often add tofu to Fried Rice to make it more of a main dish. Feel free to add chicken, shrimp, or beef to your liking. We like to add in whatever veggies are in the fridge to this basic Fried Rice recipe. We’ll add chopped cabbage purple or green, baby corn, water chestnuts, whatever’s in there and can be used up works great!
Feel free to double this recipe, as it gets eaten fast!
Veggie Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil or your choice of light tasting oil, divided use
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cup cooked rice warmed in the microwave for a minute
- 1 tablespoon lower sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds plus additional for garnish
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen bell pepper strips
- Heat a large skillet, preferably a cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat. While skillet preheats, crack eggs into a small bowl, and whisk or stir with a fork until well mixed. Once skillet is good and hot, add 1 teaspoon oil, and once oil is hot, add in the eggs, scrambling as the cook. Once eggs are cooked to your liking, remove them from the skillet and place in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet, and add in 1 tablespoon oil. Once hot, add the cooked rice, and let sit, covered, for about 3-5 minutes while the rice browns a bit on the bottom. Drizzle remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the top of the rice, and flip rice so that it can brown on the other side, cook, covered, about 5-7 more minutes.
- While rice cooks, place shredded carrots in a microwaveable bowl, add in about 1 tablespoon water, and cover with a dinner plate. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Drain well.
- Stir in soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and sesame seeds. Move the rice to one side of the skillet, and add the steamed carrots, peas, and pepper strips to the other side of the skillet. Cover and cook about 3 minutes, or until veggies have heated through. Add cooked scrambled eggs back to the skillet, stir to combine, and cook until everything is nice and hot, about 5 minutes more.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes FREE to your inbox!
C&W frozen veggies are perfect for this delicious dish and I always have a selection of them in my freezer. In fact, I have everything for this recipe, I’ll be making it soon.
Love a good skip the takeout meal! This fried rice sounds so good!!! Veggie packed and Im loving it!
All for more veggies and certainly loving the shortcuts. This looks delish!
This looks so colorful and delicious, great dish!!
This looks so good! =)
The convenience and price can’t be beat. I too make extra rice so I can stir-fry the next day or so!
Everyone will want to eat veggies with this on their plates. Sounds wonderful. Colorful and healthful!
This looks like a delicious meal that would please anyone and everyone! Can’t wait to make it for myself!!! Nom nom nom!
Such a beautiful and satisfying dish you have made here; great job!
Love using fresh/frozen veggies in my recipes, quick and easy is what we need along with your delicious fried rice, can’t wait to give it a try.
I’ve never made fried rice, but I’ve always wanted to give it a try. This recipe looks perfect. I love the sesame seeds!
I LOVE fried rice! And this version looks super colourful and tasty! Great food styling as well 🙂
We are trying to eat more vegetables this year and we LOVE fried rice so I am absolutely loving the looks and sound of this dish 🙂
What a beautiful, colorful dish — love it!
This looks fantastic! So colorful and delicious!
Nice looking fried rice. One of my favorite dishes.
You might have just given me the courage to try to make Fried Rice! I have always wanted to and this looks so good!