Lentil Chili with Green Onions is a great easy weeknight dinner that’s both delicious and healthy. Lentils are so good. They’re easy to cook and filled with protein. And, best of all they’re sooo tasty. This meal is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It’s low-fat, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, grain-free, and filled with lots of tasty veggies.
Serve the chili with some nice crusty bread and a dinner salad and you’re ready to rock!
And, it’s a great way to
show off use some of that homemade chili powder that you made. I highly recommend you try that Homemade chili Powder!
Lentil Chili with Green Onions Recipe
Lentil Chili with Green Onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons homemade chili powder*
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried brown or green lentils
- ½ cup crushed tomato
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt less if your broth is salty
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until it caramelizes, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper, and cook for 30 seconds. Add water, lentils, and tomatoes. Increase the heat, and bring the stew to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in green onions. Add salt, and taste for seasonings. Serve hot and enjoy!
*Cook’s notes: ok, so you can use the store-bought chili powder here, but the homemade one tastes so much better & is really easy to make!