Lentil Chili with Green Onions is a great easy weeknight dinner that’s both delicious and healthy.
Lentils are so good. They’re easy to cook and filled with protein. And, best of all they’re sooo tasty.
This meal is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It’s low-fat, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, grain-free, and filled with lots of tasty veggies.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
How to serve this dinner
Serve the chili with some nice crusty bread and a dinner salad and you’re ready to rock!
And, it’s a great way to
show off use some of that homemade chili powder that you made. I highly recommend you try that Homemade chili Powder!
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Lentil Chili with Green Onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried brown or green lentils uncooked
- ½ cup crushed tomato
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt less if your broth is salty
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until it caramelizes, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper, and cook for 30 seconds. Add water, lentils, and tomatoes. Increase the heat, and bring the stew to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in green onions. Add salt, and taste for seasonings. Serve hot and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.