One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake is super easy to make and is a great veggie filled dinner.
I love these one tray meals. It makes dinnertime so much easier. No stirring and tending, and not too much measuring either. Just a bit of chopping of the veggies, and some waiting time. That’s it.
I also like that this One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake has lots of veggies that my husband will eat. He’s a pretty good veggie eater, but I always like to make sure that dinner is filled with ones he likes the most.
And, I think these veggies are pretty universally liked. Of course, if you have someone who doesn’t like corn, feel free to leave it out.
I prefer the yellow sweet potatoes for this; they’re a little firmer and less sweet than the orange ones. But, if your store doesn’t carry the yellow ones, the orange ones are still great! I’ve also made this with both orange and yellow sweet potatoes in the same tray, just buy smaller ones.
Besides being awesomely tasty as it is, this One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake is super versatile. Eat this simply hot from the oven.
Or, you can make a southwestern bowl with a bed of spinach, and toss the veggie bake on top (hot or cold!).
It’s great as taco fillings with some salsa and avocados.
Use it as a filling in quesadillas (with lots of cheese – yum!).
Eat it for breakfast with a fried egg on top.
There are so many ways to eat this healthy and delicious meal that I find myself making it all the time.
One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake Recipe
One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake
- 1 large sweet potato I prefer the yellow ones, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large red pepper chopped into ½ to 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1 can 15 ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- Fresh oregano or cilantro leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place sweet potato chunks, red pepper, and onions on the baking sheet, and toss with oil, spices, salt, and pepper, coating all the veggies well with the spices. Spread the veggies out on the tray in a single layer so they roast well. Bake in 375° oven for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven, and stir in black beans and corn, spreading out to a single layer again. Return the baking sheet to the oven, and roast for 10 minutes.
Adapted from The Yummy Beet