One Tray Southwestern Vegetable Bake is super easy to make and is a great veggie filled dinner.
You’ll love the vibrant flavors and wholesome goodness with this One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake recipe! This delightful dish brings together a medley of colorful vegetables and bold spices, resulting in a mouthwatering, plant-based meal that is both easy to prepare and bursting with Southwestern flair. Great as a main dish or a side dish!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
I love these one tray meals. It makes dinnertime so much easier. No stirring and tending, and not too much measuring either. Just a bit of chopping of the veggies, and some waiting time. That’s it.
I also like that this One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake has lots of veggies that my husband will eat.
He’s a pretty good veggie eater, but I always like to make sure that dinner is filled with ones he likes the most.
And, I think these veggies are pretty universally liked. Of course, if you have someone who doesn’t like corn, feel free to leave it out.
Whether you’re a committed vegan, vegetarian, or simply looking to add more plant-based options to your diet, this recipe offers a fantastic way to enjoy a variety of nutrient-packed vegetables in a single, convenient tray. With its enticing combination of textures and robust flavors, our Southwest Vegetable Bake is sure to become a family favorite.
Introduction to the southwestern vegetables
In this introduction, we’ll guide you through the key ingredients, the simple preparation process, and the benefits of incorporating this dish into your culinary repertoire. So, grab your apron and let’s embark on a delicious journey of wholesome southwestern flavors!
The full printable recipe ingredients and instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. You can find important tips and tricks in the post.
The beauty of our One Tray Southwestern Vegetable Bake lies in its simplicity. This recipe calls for a selection of vibrant vegetables that harmonize beautifully, creating a satisfying blend of tastes and textures. Here’s a quick overview of the key ingredients you’ll need:
- Sweet Potato: With its vibrant orange flesh and natural sweetness, the sweet potato adds a delicious and nourishing element to the dish. Packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, it contributes to a wholesome and satisfying meal.
I prefer the yellow sweet potatoes for this; they’re a little firmer and less sweet than the orange ones. But, if your store doesn’t carry the yellow ones, the orange ones are still great! I’ve also made this with both orange and yellow sweet potatoes in the same tray, just buy smaller ones.
- Bell Peppers: These colorful gems add a sweet and tangy element to the dish, while also providing a healthy dose of vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Onion: Adding a touch of pungency and sweetness, onions infuse the bake with complex flavors.
- Corn Kernels: Sweet corn kernels provide a burst of natural sweetness and a satisfying pop of texture.
- Black Beans: Protein-packed black beans add heartiness and substance to the dish, while also offering dietary fiber and essential minerals.
- Southwestern Spices: A blend of smoky cumin, oregano, and smoky paprika lends an authentic Southwestern taste to the dish, transporting your taste buds to a fiesta of flavors.
Preparing our One Tray Southwestern Vegetable Bake is a breeze, making it an excellent choice for busy weeknight meals or when you’re craving a fuss-free culinary adventure. Here’s a simplified overview of the preparation process:
- Preheat your oven to a moderate temperature, ensuring optimal heat distribution for perfectly roasted vegetables.
- Gather and wash all the vegetables, then proceed to chop them into bite-sized pieces, ensuring uniformity for even cooking.
- In a large mixing bowl or simply on the tray itself, combine the chopped vegetables. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle the Southwestern spice blend. Toss until all the ingredients are evenly coated with the flavorful seasoning.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large baking tray, ensuring a single layer for proper roasting. Spread it out evenly to allow the vegetables to caramelize and develop a lovely golden color.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and let the magic happen! Roast the vegetables until they are tender, slightly charred around the edges, and bursting with flavor.
- Add in the black beans and corn, spreading out the veggies on the tray again, and finish roasting.
- Once done, remove the tray from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley for an added burst of freshness.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Benefits of One Tray Southwestern Vegetable Bake: Our One Tray Southwestern Vegetable Bake offers numerous benefits beyond its tantalizing taste. Here are a few reasons why this recipe deserves a special place in your culinary repertoire:
- Wholesome Plant-Based Goodness: Packed with a rainbow of vegetables, this dish is a nutritional powerhouse, providing a wide range of essential vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber.
- Easy and Time-Efficient: With a simple preparation process and only one tray to clean, this recipe ensures minimal effort and maximum convenience for busy individuals or families.
- Versatile and Customizable: Feel free to experiment with different vegetables based on your preferences or seasonal availability. You can also adjust the spice level to suit your taste buds, making this dish adaptable to various flavor profiles.
- Budget-Friendly: Utilizing affordable and accessible ingredients, this vegetable bake offers an economical way to enjoy a delicious and fulfilling meal.
So, let’s dive into the vibrant flavors of this One Tray Southwestern Vegetable Bake recipe and savor the goodness of plant-based cooking. Get ready to impress your taste buds and embark on a culinary adventure that celebrates the deliciousness of fresh, wholesome ingredients!
Besides being awesomely tasty as it is, this One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake is super versatile.
Eat this simply hot from the oven.
Or, you can make a southwestern bowl with a bed of spinach, and toss the veggie bake on top (hot or cold!).
It’s great as taco fillings with some salsa and avocados.
Use it as a filling in quesadillas (with lots of cheese – yum!).
Eat it for breakfast with a fried egg on top.
There are so many ways to eat this healthy and delicious meal that I find myself making it all the time.
Let’s stay in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
One Tray Southwestern Vegetable Bake Recipe
One Tray Southwestern Veggie Bake
- 1 large sweet potato I prefer the yellow ones, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large red pepper chopped into ½ to 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 15 ounces low sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- Fresh oregano or cilantro leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place sweet potato chunks, red pepper, and onions on the baking sheet, and toss with oil, spices, salt, and pepper, coating all the veggies well with the spices. Spread the veggies out on the tray in a single layer so they roast well. Bake in 375° oven for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven, and stir in black beans and corn, spreading out to a single layer again. Return the baking sheet to the oven, and roast for 10 minutes.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.