Rocky Road Cookies chocolaty good cookies packed with marshmallows and pecans. The classic flavor combination in a cookie!
Ah, the tale of the Rocky Road Cookies has a rocky beginning. (sorry about the bad joke!) The husband and a couple of friends have asked for cookies in the last week or so. Must be the change in the weather that makes people want cookies. And, the husband specifically asked for my Snickerdoodles.
First, I had to find the recipe. It’s from my Grandma. There’s an old recipe card that I photocopied. Unfortunately, I misplaced the photocopy, so I had to go digging around in many papers to find it. And, that pile of papers was pretty big. … But, success, I found it!
Next obstacle, the recipe calls for shortening. I don’t have any shortening in the house. So, I had to go to the store, hoping that the shortening at the store would be trans-fat-free. Nope, no such luck. Now, I’m sure that I could go to another store (maybe Sprouts or Mother’s) and find some. But, I didn’t want to drive all around town. I’m also pretty sure that I could use butter instead. But, butter has a flavor, where shortening doesn’t. And, butter spreads differently. So, I’ll wait to get some trans-fat-free shortening.
In the meantime, I wanted to bake some cookies to fulfill the requests.
These cookies are excellent. Dense. Rich. The marshmallows melt into the cookies and make them sweet. The pecans round it all out giving crunchiness and nuttiness.
I like to make cookies without using the stand mixer, so my instructions are with a fork. Please feel free to use the stand mixer if you prefer. Also, I melted the chocolate and butter in the microwave, I think it’s faster, but if you prefer the double boiler method, again, feel free.
Rocky Road Cookies Recipe
Rocky Road Cookies
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat .
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a small heatproof (glass) bowl, melt the chocolate chips with the butter in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each.
- Transfer the chocolate and butter mixture to a large bowl, and add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix with a sturdy fork until well combined. Slowly mix in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the mini chocolate chips, the 1 cup of marshmallows, and the chopped pecans.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to an hour, until slightly firm. Using a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop , make balls of dough and place them on the lined cookie sheet, leaving a couple of inches of space between each one. Stick two to 3 mini marshmallows in each raw cookie, pressing down lightly.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly puffy in the center but crispy around the edges, and the marshmallows have turned golden and melty. Carefully pull the cookies out of the oven, and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes to harden. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely. Devour.
Makes about 25-30 cookies