Unprocessed October Day 6’s menu is not very exciting, or for that matter very nutritious. I just didn’t really feel like eating.
breakfast: coffee and a slice or toast (homemade bread) with natural peanut butter
lunch: leftover risotto
dinner: a slice of toast and a glass of wine
So, to make up for it, I’ll post a recipe I recently made for Stone Fruit and Fig Chutney. Sweet and savory … yummy! As a word of caution to anyone who may want to can (preserve) this, it doesn’t have vinegar in it (I don’t care too much for vinegar), so it may not preserve well. I would do a little research before I tried to can it.
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- 2 cups stone fruits peaches, plums, apricots, or nectarines, diced
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Anaheim chiles finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup figs quartered
- Combine the first eight ingredients (stone fruits through cinnamon).
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and cook about 1 minute, covered (keeping the pan covered keeps the seeds from popping out). Add stone fruit mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes until mixture thickens. Stir in figs and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.