After making my Easy Nacho Dip with Bertolli® Alfredo sauce I had some of that amazingly tasty Alfredo sauce leftover. So, I decided to make a little sandwich with it. It was so good I had to share the idea with you! Thus the Hot Vegetarian Italian Sub was born! It’s a total Vegetarian Delight!
This post is sponsored by Bertolli but the content and opinions are my own.
I love a good sandwich! There’s just something so awesome about hot yummy fillings all tucked inside a toasty little bread roll (or two slices of bread). For this Hot Vegetarian Italian Sub I share one of the tips I learned when I used to work in the French cafe.
We made big sandwiches there (think the Muffuletta), and we always removed a little bit of the bread from inside the bread roll. It helps to give the fillings some room. It gives a better bread to goodies ratio as well. I mean, you’ve seen those sandwiches or burgers that are more bun than fillings, and you don’t want that.
For this Sub I have sautéed mushroom and peppers tucked into a hoagie roll then topped with creamy Bertolli® Alfredo sauce. That’s all toasted up under the broiler so the bread gets a little golden, hot, and a little crunchy (but not too much).
Then it’s all crowned with some delicious avocado, tomato, and lettuce. Nommy nom nom I tell you! Oh, and I added a little more Alfredo sauce on top for good measure!
Here’s the Hot Vegetarian Italian Sub before I popped it into the oven to toast it. You can see the little bit of bread that I removed from the sandwich roll so that the filling fits into the sammie!
Hot Italian Vegetarian Sub Recipe
Hot Italian Vegetarian Sub
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet peppers fresh or frozen
- 1 hoagie roll
- about ¼ cup Bertolli® Alfredo sauce
- shredded lettuce
- ¼ of an avocado sliced
- 2 to mato slices
- Preheat the broiler to 450 degree F.
- Place oil in a skillet, on heat over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms, and sauté until they have released their water, and are starting to brown. Add in the chopped peppers, and continue to cook until veggies are tender.
- While veggies cook, cut open the hoagie roll, being careful not to cut all the way through. Remove a little of the bread inside the hoagie roll so the filling has somewhere to sit. Microwave the Alfredo sauce until hot.
- Once the veggies are cooked, place them on the hoagie roll, and top with some of the hot Alfredo sauce (you’ll want to reserve some sauce for topping the sandwich).
- Pop the sandwich under the broiler for 2-5 minutes, or until the bread starts to toast and the sandwich is nice and hot.
- Carefully remove the sammie from the broiler, and top with the shredded lettuce, avocado, and tomato slices, and additional Alfredo sauce if desired.