I love a good healthy and easy meal. And this Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew fits the bill perfectly. It’s made with ingredients that I usually have in the house, so it’s great for those days I’m not sure what to make for dinner.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
Vegetarian hearty lentil filled meal
And, it’s vegan (use vegan sour cream or just leave it off) and totally budget friendly.
This Stew also makes a great lunch the next day. Send along some tortillas and drain off the liquid for a fabulous lunch taco the next day!
I think that lentils are amazing. Vegetarians love them for their taste and protein. All the meat eaters I know love them as well. They are like the perfect little package. Scroll down for some of my other lentil recipes.
Great lentil meals besides this stew!
Click on the picture to go directly to the recipe!
Lentil and Potato Pot Pies with Rosemary Biscuit Crust
Tomato Lentil Soup
Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette Dressing
Lentils with Winter Vegetables
Lentil Chili with Green Onions
Don’t forget to pin this recipe!
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe
Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 7 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups dried brown lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into ½ -inch dice
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) fire roasted diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro , chopped, optional
- Sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt for serving , optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Add carrots, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth or water and lentils. Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and continue to cook, covered, until lentils and potato are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice. Cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream or yogurt, if desired. Serve hot.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.