Marinated Cheese and Herbs Appetizer
I made this Marinated Cheese and Herbs Appetizer to take it to thanksgiving, and I had no intention of posting the recipe. I just wanted to make a simple appetizer recipe that would taste good and was easy on me. But, I had so many people asking me for the recipe that I had to say I’d post it. It was that good! And so easy!
I would make this again for any gathering, whether it’s at your house or it’s a family gathering across town. This was easy to transport too. Just the jar and some toothpicks. I asked the hostess if I could borrow a bowl, but you could bring your own. Once you get to the party, just pour out the contents of the jar out into a bowl, and place some crackers next to it. Now, you’ve got a show stopper!
My version is based on Shockingly Delicious’ recipe.
Because this is such a simple recipe it’s really the quality of the ingredients that shine through, so go for the tasty good stuff here. Head over to the deli section for the cheese. And, I recommend getting cheese that’s cut into squares or rectangles so that it’s easier to cut into little cubes. Cheese that’s in wedges, though usable, is harder to cut into cubes. And, for gosh sake, please please cut the cheese into small cubes. No one wants a big piece of cheese that takes 3 bites to finish when they are just nibbling on appetizers.
I’ve found that grapeseed oil has a more neutral flavor, which allows the flavors of the herbs and cheese to shine. It also will stay liquid in the fridge, where I’ve found that olive oil will solidify in the fridge. If you don’t have grapeseed oil, or don’t want to buy it, feel free to use another oil, but I do think grapeseed oil works best here.
Marinated Cheese and Herbs Appetizer Recipe:
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
I made this Marinated Cheese to take it to thanksgiving, and I had no intention of posting the recipe. I just wanted to make a simple appetizer recipe that would taste good and was easy on me. But, I had so many people asking me for the recipe that I had to say I’d post it. It was that good! And so easy!
- 6 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces Smoked Gouda
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed and chopped, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup grapeseed oil
- In a large glass jar with a tight fitting lid, layer cheese, shallot, garlic, herbs, and black pepper. Place herb sprigs around inside the jar. Pour oil over the top. Tightly seal with lid.
Place jar in refrigerator, and marinate one day. If the oil doesn't cover the cheese, just flip the jar over a few times. For best results, use within 3-4 days.
- To serve: Pour everything into a bowl, and serve with crackers. Cheese can be scooped up with crackers, toothpicks, or use your hands.