These Peanut Rice Noodles are a delicious naturally vegan & gluten-free main course dish with complex Asian flavors, lots of veggies, and good for you proteins.
This post contains affiliate links, which if you buy something won’t cost you any extra, but will help support this blog. Thanks!
Recently I made some delicious Fried Peanuts with Garlic and Basil (Kacang tojin). Those fried peanuts are a traditional Indonesian recipe, and that’s my version of the dish.
We ate quite a few of these peanuts, and my husband came up with the idea of adding them to pasta, specifically rice noodles.
How to make the Peanut Rice Noodles recipe
I loved the idea. So, I thought about how I would go about making that into a dish. Of course, I wanted there to be veggies. But I didn’t want the veggies to upstage the peanuts. So, simple cabbage and shredded carrots would be perfect.
In fact, now that I’m thinking about it, you could buy a bag of coleslaw mix, just a simple blend of cabbage and carrots, or maybe the broccoli slaw mix, and use 2 & ½ cups of that instead of chopping your own cabbage. That would be a great time saver.
And, I wanted it to have a nice light Asian sauce with great flavor. One of my go-to dishes is this Chow Mein or yakisoba & the sauce on that would also be perfect for these Peanut Rice Noodles.
Peanut Rice Noodles recipe notes
I like this dish with the rice noodles. If you can’t find rice noodles you can substitute Lo Mein, Yakisoba, or thin spaghetti noodles.
My bag of rice noodles told me to simply soak the noodles in hot water for 10 minutes. This preparation is a great plus on hot summer days! You don’t have to boil water for 10 minutes heating up the kitchen!
This dish is great served hot when first made, at room temperature, or cold from the fridge like a pasta salad.
I always have a bag of those shredded carrots in the fridge, so it makes adding some veggies to any meal nice and easy.
My husband and I have different preferences on the doneness of sautéed cabbage. He prefers his to be a little more well done and browned, while I prefer mine a little more rare (soft).
Cook the cabbage to your liking for this recipe. I give you a guide of about 10 minutes total cooking time for the cabbage, but feel free to cook it longer or for less time as you prefer.
Other great Asian flavored dishes
All of these would be great as appetizers, side dishes, or as main dishes
Things you may need for this recipe
- Soy sauce
- garlic powder
- dried ground ginger
- rice noodles
- raw peanuts
- large cast iron skillet
- pretty serving plate
Take a look at my new Amazon Shop to see some of the products and tools we recommend —
Peanut Rice Noodles Recipe
Peanut Rice Noodles
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and black pepper; set aside.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package directions. Drain.
- While the noodles cook, prepare the veggies. Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add cabbage and sauté about 7 minutes or until cabbage is soft. Add the shredded carrots to the pan, and continue to cook the cabbage with the carrots for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Place the drained noodles and the veggies in a large bowl and toss with the sauce mixture. Toss pasta with peanuts, and garnish with additional fried peanuts if desired.
- Serve hot, at room temperate, or cold from the fridge.