Easy Pizza Tarts are a great healthy fun tailgating or homegating snack that are perfect for any super bowl party or game day. They also make a fantastic after school snack for the kiddos, or an after work snack for the adults.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
I made two versions of these Pizza Tarts for October Is Tailgating Snacks Month.
- Classic or Traditional with pizza sauce, and
- Pizza Blanco (white pizza) with sour cream.
Both are delicious. My husband preferred the Classic (pizza is probably his favorite food). I think I preferred the Pizza Blanco.
Either way, they are both great!
You could make a mix, one tray of traditional and one of Pizza Blanco.
Measurements for recipe
The sauce measurements in the recipe below are basically 1 teaspoon sauce per tart. And, the cheese is 1/2 tablespoon per tart.
I always prefer to know a total amount needed in a recipe. Of course, if you’re a big cheese fan, you can add more.
Just don’t overload the tart squares too much with toppings, or they won’t puff up and get all flaky. Which is my favorite part of puff pastry!
Homemade Pizza Sauce Rocks!
We make our own pizza sauce around here now. I know, it sounds complicated or fancy, but I swear, the little bit of extra time it takes to make your own is nothing compared to how super yummy this sauce is!
And, my pizza sauce is super easy to make. Simply open a can of tomato paste, toss in some spices and a little water, and mix. That’s it! No cooking involved!
It’s rich and thick, slightly sweet and slightly spicy. It’s everything you want in a Pizza Sauce. Besides, this sauce doesn’t even require any cooking!
Make your own Italian Seasoning
Also, I like making my own mix of Italian Seasonings. I know what’s in it. It lasts for a long time. It’s salt free. And, it’s cheaper to mix your own. You’ll find the recipe for the Italian Seasonings as well as the Pizza Sauce.
Let’s stay in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Pizza Tarts Recipe
- 17.3 ounces frozen puff pastry
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons Pizza sauce or sour cream
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella
- thinly sliced red onion and red pepper
- Italian Seasonings
- fresh oregano or basil to garnish
- Place oven rack in the center of the oven, and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove frozen pastry sheets from box and paper wrappings. Thaw pastry sheets at room temperature for about 40 minutes or until pastry unfolds easily, but pastry is still cold. Unfold pastry on a lightly floured surface, and remove any additional paper wrappings. Cut each sheet into 9 pieces by cutting down the fold lines, then cutting each row into three equal pieces.
- Line two cookie sheets or baking sheets with silpats or parchment paper, and place 9 pastry squares on each baking sheet.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon pizza sauce or sour cream into the center of each pastry square, and spread to a thin layer, leaving about a 1-inch space along each side. Sprinkle each square with ½ tablespoon shredded cheese, and top with sliced red onion and red pepper. Generously sprinkle each with Italian Seasonings.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 13-17 minutes, rotating trays halfway through baking time, until the pastry is golden brown and puffed. Carefully remove from oven, place on a serving tray, and garnish with fresh herbs. Devour.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.