Pizza Puffs: bite sized treats that are perfect for happy hour, appetizers, lunch, or nibbles while watching football! They’d also be great for a pot luck!
When I make these Pizza Puffs, I make a half batch vegetarian, and half the batch is pepperoni for the husband. When I do it this way, I use 2 ounces pepperoni. If you want to make a whole pepperoni batch, use 4 ounces. Or, just leave the pepperoni out entirely. Personally, I don’t think it needs the pepperoni at all!
I bake them in silicon mini muffin pans. Place the pans on a cookie sheet for baking for more stability. Once baked, the Pizza Puffs should pop right out of the pan, and there’s no need for oiling the pan at all. If your Puffs need a little encouragement to release from the pan, I’ve found it’s best to run an offset spatula around the outside of the puff. After that, it should release.
Use your favorite sauce for dipping these tasty little morsels into. Here’s my pizza sauce of choice: Homemade Pizza Sauce. I thinned it with a little water to make it easier to dip the puffs into. Marinara would be lovely as well! Or, simply use your favorite jarred spaghetti sauce.
Pizza Puffs Recipe
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded (about 1 cup)
- ½ red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 - 4 ounces pepperoni cut into quarters, optional
- ½ cup your favorite pizza sauce marinara, or spaghetti sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Oil a 24-cup mini-muffin pan, if using a silicone mini muffin pan, oiling isn’t necessary.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella, bell pepper, shallot, herbs and spices, and pepperoni (if using); let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir the batter and divide evenly among the mini-muffin cups. Place the muffin pans on a large cookie sheet, and bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the pizza sauce in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through. Serve pizza puffs with your favorite pizza sauce.
Pizza Puffs may be made ahead and frozen. Freeze the baked puffs in a single layer on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag. To reheat, bake the frozen puffs on a baking sheet in a 350 degrees oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Adapted from Rachel Ray