Happy tailgating snacks month! I hope you’re having fun this month, and this recipe for Skillet Pizza Bombs should help!!
I have a great surprise for you this week! Some awesome bloggers have decided to join in Tailgating Snacks Month! They’ll be posting their recipes all this week, and I’ll be linking to them so you can easily find them all. Be sure to take a look for all their fabulous recipes (you’ll find them lower in this post)! I can’t wait to see all the deliciousness!
These Skillet Pizza Bombs are so much fun! Soft rolls of pizza dough surrounding your favorite pizza fillings, baked to pizza-goodness, and topped with garlic herb butter. Yum! These didn’t last long in our house, that’s for sure!
I used white whole wheat pizza dough for these Skillet Pizza Bombs. My grocery store’s deli department sells pre-made pizza dough. I’ve seen regular dough, whole wheat, and this white whole wheat. I’ve also seen pre-made dough at Sprouts and Trader Joe’s, so I suspect it shouldn’t be too difficult to find. Of course, you can always make your own as well; here’s my favorite recipe for homemade crust).
We always make our own pizza sauce. My recipe is really easy, just a can of tomato paste and a bunch of spices. It’s thick and rich. As always, use your family’s favorite sauce here. You can even use jarred spaghetti sauce as pizza sauce if you want.
I used chopped red peppers and red onion in my pizza bombs. Feel free to use your favorite toppings. Chopped mushrooms and green pepper would be fabulous. Of course, pepperoni and sausage would be great for meat eaters. We decided to do all the pizza bombs as vegetarian this time, but you could also do an assortment of flavors, or even a make your own kind of pizza bar.
Check out all the other delicious Tailgating Snacks recipes below from bloggers who took part Tailgating Snacks Month!
- Skillet Pizza Bombs by Life Currents
- Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs by LeMoine Family Kitchen
- Easy Cheesy Salsa Bean Dip by Bowl me Over
- Spicy Nacho Cheese Pretzels by Hostess at Heart
- Frito Pie Skillet Dip with Corn Chip Scoops by Take Two Tapas
- Hot Beef & Bean Dip by An Affair from the Heart
- Brown Butter Cinnamon Churro Rice Krispie Treats by Full Belly Sisters
- Curried Beef Roti (Sri Lankan Beef Roti) by The Flavor Bender
Skillet Pizza Bombs Recipe
Skillet Pizza Bombs
- 16 ounces pre-made pizza dough
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- About 8 teaspoons pizza sauce https://lifecurrentsblog.com/easy-homemade-pizza-sauce/
- 4 sticks mozzarella string cheese cut into 4 pieces each
- chopped red pepper
- chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Be sure to follow package directions for the pizza dough. (Mine stated to leave dough in package and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.)
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, garlic powder, parsley, oregano, and basil. Spread about 1 tablespoon of herb butter in the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Set herbed butter aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut dough into 16 equal pieces. Using your hands, flatten each piece of dough, and spread it out to form a circle. Spread the center of the dough with about ½ teaspoon pizza sauce. Place a piece of cheese on top of the sauce, and sprinkle with red pepper and red onions (or toppings of your choice).
- Pinch the edges of the dough together, bringing the dough around the outside of the fillings. Roll the dough around in your hands to form a ball. Place the pinched side down in the buttered cast iron skillet. Continue working with the dough, filling all 16 pieces and placing them all in the skillet. Once done, drizzle 1 tablespoon of the melted herbed butter over the dough balls.
- Bake, uncovered, in the 425° F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully remove from the oven, and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon herbed butter over the top of the pizza bombs.