This rich Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce is a delicious and versatile sauce will perk up your weeknight dinners. Serve it over pasta for a quick and easy family night dinner. It’s a creamy, smooth sauce made with lots of garlic and Parmesan cheese.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
A great basic sauce
This is a great basic sauce recipe that’s a good staple in any kitchen.
You never know when you might want to whip up a quick pasta or veggie dish that needs a tasty sauce, and I feel that sauces can totally make a humdrum dinner into a special event.
This sauce is so good it would even be great for date night to wow your sweetie!
This sauce also comes together quickly, so it’s perfect for a weeknight or last minute meal.
Other ways to serve this delicious sauce
- Over pasta
- Toss spaghetti squash with the sauce
- Serve over rice
- Vegetables are particularly good either dipped in the sauce, or with the sauce spooned over them
- Serve some gnocchi in the sauce
- It makes a great white pizza sauce
- Serve it over chicken, steak, or tofu
- Great over baked potatoes
- Make a white lasagna using this sauce
Is this Parmesan Garlic Sauce Gluten Free?
Yes, it is naturally gluten-free. The thickening comes from the cream and the Parmesan cheese and some cooking time.
How to store the sauce?
This sauce keeps well in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Also, I prefer to use organic cream because it lasts longer than non-organic.
What kind of broth should I use?
I make mine with veggie broth so that it’s vegetarian. And, I prefer the taste of vegetable broth.
I have two great recipes for homemade broth. Vegetarian Roasted Vegetable Broth is a rich homemade broth filled with lots of veggie flavor. And Instant Vegetarian Broth is a quick mix that you can store in your cupboard so it’s ready at a moment’s notice.
Feel free to use chicken broth instead of veggie broth if you prefer. In the “kitchen items you may need” section lower in the post, I have my recommendation for a great tasting veggie broth.
What is whipping cream?
The ingredients in this cream sauce call for whipping cream. “What is that?”, you may ask.
Most well-stocked grocery stores will carry whipping cream, also sometimes called simply “cream”, in a carton in the dairy section of the store, and it’s probably right next to the heavy whipping cream.
Whipping cream is a liquid, much like milk or cream that you pour out of a carton. It is not whipped cream that you squirt out of a can.
If your store doesn’t carry whipping cream, you may use heavy whipping cream. Please do not use whipped cream out of a can in this recipe.
The difference between whipping cream and heavy whipping cream is the fat content.
Whipping cream, or light whipping cream, is lighter in fat and flavor than heavy cream, and contains 30% to 35% milk fat.
Heavy cream, or heavy whipping cream, must contain at least 36% or more milk fat.
Whipping cream, when used in this recipe, will not be a heavy as heavy whipping cream, and will produce a nicer sauce.
Other delicious sauces you’ll want in your recipe box
Kitchen items you may need
Note: these are Amazon Affiliate links
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce Recipe
Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves pressed
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet or medium saucepan over medium-high heat, and once hot, add the chopped onion. Cook until starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the pressed garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the vegetable broth to the cooked onion, and cook about 5 minutes, reducing the broth by about half.
- Add the cream, chopped rosemary, and thyme, stir to combine, and cook for 5 minutes, or until cream thickens slightly. Add shredded Parmesan and stir in.
- Serve cream sauce over pasta, veggies, chicken, steak, tofu, on baked potatoes, rice, or anywhere your heart desires.