I love a warm comforting breakfast, especially at this cold time of year. So when I saw this recipe for Vanilla Breakfast Pudding I had to try it. And, everyone knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so make sure you treat yourself right!
This was delicious while being healthy and hearty. I also like that this breakfast pudding is gluten-free. What a great way to start the day!
You could use just about any fruit that you like. Strawberries in summer time would be lovely. Blueberries would rock. Peaches, pears… well, you get the idea. Use whatever fruit you love. And, you could use fresh, frozen (defrosted), or even dried fruits.
I think I’ll add 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed with the vanilla next time; that’ll add some extra nutrition as well as a nutty flavor.
- ¼ cup Cream Of Rice cereal uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts
- 1 banana sliced
- In a small saucepan, heat water to boiling, and, stirring constantly, slowly add Cream of Rice. Return to boiling, and reduce heat to simmer. Continue to cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg in a small bowl. Once Cream of Rice is cooked, whisk 2 tablespoons cooked cereal into the egg, the slowly whisk egg mixture into saucepan of cooked cereal.
- Add cinnamon and honey, and simmer an additional 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Carefully pour breakfast pudding into a serving bowl. Top with walnuts, sliced banana, and additional cinnamon if desired.
Adapted from Fitness Magazine
If you’re looking for other ideas for healthy breakfasts, take a look at these: