This Easy Weeknight Mexican Eggs is one of my go-to dinners when I want something quick and tasty. I’d even call it comfort food. But, dinner that’s ready in about 10 minutes, simply rocks! (and it’s budget-friendly!)
Choose whatever salsa you like. Of course, I love making this with homemade salsa, but if you don’t have any in the house, jarred will work as well. Sometimes I’ll even do a combination of salsas that are in the fridge. You could use a can of Rotel instead of salsa. Try using green tomatillo salsa instead of red. Or, if you’re in a pinch for dinner, you could use a can of plain tomatoes and spice it up a bit with some chili powder and a can of green chiles. See, super easy and super flexible!
The beans can be changed too; try black beans or kidney beans. Make it work for you. I’ve actually made it so many different ways that it isn’t boring at all!
Oh yeah, it can also be served for breakfast!
Easy Weeknight Mexican Eggs Recipe
Easy Weeknight Skillet Eggs
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 2 scallions chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- ½ cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- avocado slices or guacamole optional
- toasted tortillas optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together salsa, beans, scallions, cilantro, corn, and zucchini. Place salsa mixture in a medium skillet (not a cast iron one), and heat over medium-high until boiling.
- With the back of a spoon, make a small indentation in salsa mixture, and crack an egg into the indentation. Continue with indenting and cracking each egg into the salsa mixture until all 4 eggs have been added. Turn heat to low, and cover the skillet. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, or until eggs reach your desired doneness.
- Top each egg with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Garnish with avocados and serve with tortillas, if desired.