If you’re vegan or vegetarian, simply leave the shrimp out. This Weeknight Italian Tomato Soup with or without Shrimp is still packed with flavor without the shrimp.This soup is super easy and super yummy!
If you’re keen to the shrimp, here are some tips: I like to buy jumbo shrimp. We usually get 21/25 per pound. This number is called the count of the shrimp, and it tells you how many individual shrimp there are in one pound of shrimp. It’s read as “21 to 25 shrimp per pound”, so the smaller the number, the bigger the shrimp.
I always buy frozen shrimp. We were told once that all seafood is frozen once it’s caught (just think about how far it has to come from the ocean to the store, and how that shipping would go if they didn’t freeze it).
So, if you’re buying the stuff from the “fresh” counter, they only things you don’t know are how long it’s been defrosted, or even how many times it’s been defrosted and refrozen. With the frozen shrimp, you know the state of the shrimp.
I defrost the number of shrimp I want while I prep the soup and cook the orzo. Place the frozen EZ peel (meaning that they’ve already been deveined & cut open) shrimp in a bowl and cover with tap water. Let sit for a minute or two. The peels should easily slip off. Place the peeled shrimp in a bowl, and set aside until ready to add to the soup.
As for the marinara in the soup, use your favorite. If your family prefers a jarred one, use the flavors they’re familiar with. They’ll love it. You can also use homemade marinara like my easy crock pot marinara. I love to make homemade and keep it in the freezer. Defrost it in the microwave as the soup cooks. The beauty of this soup is not only how easy it is to make, but also that the flavors are already familiar and pleasing to the palate.
BTW, I’m super excited about my new flatware. How cute is that! The sweet husband got that for us!
Weeknight Italian Tomato Soup with or without Shrimp Recipe
Easy Weeknight Italian Tomato Soup with or without Shrimp
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¾ teaspoon dried garlic
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup uncooked orzo
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 12 ounces large shrimp peeled and deveined, optional
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced into 1-2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add oregano, pepper, and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add wine; cook 1 minute. Add broth and water to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo; cook 6 minutes or until al dente.
- Stir in marinara, shrimp (if using), and red pepper; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and cooked through. Place soup in each of 4 bowls, and top each serving with chopped oregano.