The flavor and fun of a classic potato salad recipe, made super easy by cooking the potatoes and eggs all in the Instant Pot together. In just 4 minutes of pressure cooking time! You’ll love my Instant Pot Potato Salad Recipe.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
Classic Family Recipe
I’ve modified my father-in-law’s classic potato salad recipe for this instant pot version. He gets his recipe from his Mother, who came from Tennessee.
This version was also made by my Mother-in-law’s mom, who came from South Dakota.
Seems like this classic family recipe has been all around the United States.
This version also tastes a lot like my mom’s potato salad too. She made hers with sweet pickle relish. I’ve done side by side taste tests of them, and they are very similar. I’ll have to get my mom’s recipe from her so I can share that one with you too.
My take on the recipe
I have modified this recipe a little bit.
I use half sour cream and half mayo, rather than all mayo.
I think it lightens up the potato salad a little bit, and I like the flavor. I have noticed that the sour cream is a little less salty, so I have to add a pinch or two more salt.
Should I peel the potatoes?
I don’t peel the potatoes. You’ll notice that you can see the skins in the pictures.
First, I like the skins. They add texture and flavor to the potato salad. And, well, I’m a lazy cook.
And secondly, the peels have lots of nutrition in them. So I leave them on.
What kind of potatoes should I use?
Russet potatoes have a great balance of starch and flavor, so they are perfectly suited for a potato salad like this, and they are my go-to potatoes for this recipe.
I also love to use Yukon Gold potatoes here sometimes. They have a nice buttery texture and flavor.
If you want to mix up the potato salad a little, try using half Russets and half Yukon Golds. You’ll love the flavor.
How to make Instant Pot Potato Salad
Carefully place the eggs in their shells on top of the steam rack. Place the cut potatoes on top of the egg
Cooking the eggs in the Instant Pot makes it really easy to remove the shells. See how almost the whole shell comes off in one piece.
Mix the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl
Cooking the eggs in the Instant Pot makes them easy to peel and nicely cooked through
Mix the cooked potatoes and the chopped cooked eggs in a large bowl, then add the dressing
By the way, did you know that the lid for the Instant Pot can rest in the handle
More great Instant Pot Recipes you’ll love
I have quite a few Instant Pot Pressure Cooker recipes, so I gathered them all up in one place. Check out my Air Fryer & Pressure Cooker Recipes.
Kitchen tools you may need for this recipe
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Instant Pot Potato Salad Recipe
Instant Pot Potato Salad
- instant pot
- 12 large eggs
- 4 medium to large Russet Potatoes cut into ½-inch chunks
- ¼ teaspoon salt + more for salting the water
- 12 large sweet pickles finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ large onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- Place the steam rack with handles up at the bottom of the Instant Pot. Carefully place the eggs in their shells on top of the steam rack.
- Place the cut potatoes on top of the eggs (some may fall through the steam rack to the bottom of the insert. Don’t worry too much about them).
- Add 1 ½ cups salted water to the Instant Pot.
- Set to manual high pressure mode for 4 minutes. Cover pressure cooker, and cook. Once pressure cooking time is done, do a quick release.
- You can check to make sure potatoes are cooked, by inserting a sharp fork into them. It should easily pierce them. Drain potatoes to a colander, and remove whole eggs using a pair of tongs. Place eggs in iced cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Place drained potatoes in large mixing bowl and let them cool in the refrigerator.
- Make the dressing in a medium bowl by mixing together the ¼ teaspoon salt, chopped sweet pickles, sour cream, mayonnaise, black pepper, chopped onion, and mustard.
- When the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel the eggs, and cut them into small pieces.
- Gently mix the chopped eggs into the potatoes, and mix in the dressing. Taste for salt and pepper, also, this is a great time to add more mayo or sour cream if you want it creamier.
- Refrigerate. As the potato salad cools, the flavors meld, and get to know each other. Serve with chopped chives as garnish if desired.