Oil-Free Oven French Fries
This post contains affiliate links, which if you buy something helps support this blog, and doesn’t cost you any extra. High five to you!
We got a new oven, and it’s awesome! And, no, this post isn’t sponsored by them, I just love it so much that I wanted to share it with you.
It’s my husband who actually first decided that he wanted to make French fries in the new oven, so all the credit for this tailgating snack goes to him.
I should back up a bit. Let me tell you about our new Breville Smart Oven Air counter top oven. See, my old oven is a large hunk ‘o junk. It took about an hour to heat up, and didn’t maintain a constant temperature. If you set the old oven to 350, it might make it to 300. Sigh. Well, rather than going to the expense and hassle of getting a whole new big oven and cook top installed, we decided to go with this Breville counter top oven. And, I’m so glad we did! It’s amazing!
This oven is also perfect for anyone who lives in or goes camping in an RV. It’s small enough to fit on a counter, but large enough to bake or roast most everything I need. I’ve recommended it to a bunch of friends already, and they love it as well!
It has an air fry tray (you’ll see it in the pictures) and a setting so you can cook French fries without any extra oil. Now, I’m not saying French fries are health food, but they aren’t so bad once in a while, especially if you can cut the calories by leaving all the oil out.
So, the instructions for these Oil-Free Oven French Fries are written for an oven with an air fry setting, also called super convection. I suspect you could do the same type of French fry with a regular convection oven as well, but I haven’t tried it yet. Also, keep in mind that the size of the French fry you cut, will alter the oven cooking time. We like our fries on the thin side so they have lots of crispy.
These Oil Free French Fries are so good! Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. You’ll love them, and you’ll love not feeling guilty about eating them!
Happy Tailgating Snacks Month!
Oil-Free Oven French Fries Recipe
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
- 2 large Russet potatoes cleaned, and cut into French fry shapes
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add ½ teaspoon baking soda. Add the cut potatoes, and cook (don’t wait for the water to return to a boil) for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Put the lightly cooked potatoes back in the pot, and add 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Toss the salt and potatoes well, roughing up the sides of the potatoes so they look a bit mushy.
- Spread the potatoes into a single layer on an air fry rack or baking rack.
- Bake at 400° F on Super Convection for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve with ketchup or ranch dressing if desired.