Remember back to those Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes and Onions that I posted a few weeks ago? In that post I said that I started using the tomatoes in some dishes. This Orzo with Balsamic Tomatoes and Basil is one of the dishes that I regularly use those yummy tomatoes in. I love the fresh and bold flavors of the balsamic and basil in this.
I’ve made this Orzo dish several times. It’s great for lunches; I just throw in a little tofu or chicken (for the husband). I love the lunch containers like you see in the photo above. Either glass or ceramic, they don’t stain or discolor the way plastic ones do. I have a bunch of these containers now, and we use them all the time. I also like that they’re sturdier, so it feels like more of a special treat as you eat lunch, and not just some boring old thing.
This Orzo with Balsamic Tomatoes and Basil is also great as a quick and easy side dish for dinner.
The recipe is a great starting place as well. I’ve added some sautéed mushrooms to the mix on occasion. You could toss in some Parmesan cheese as well. Add in your family’s favorite veggies. It’s all good.
- ¾ cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic roasted tomatoes and onions
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ teaspoon powdered garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan. Add tomatoes, pine nuts, and garlic powder; cook 2 minutes. Stir in orzo, basil, pepper, and salt.
(for printing reference) Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes and Onions: https://lifecurrentsblog.com/balsamic-roasted-tomatoes-onions/
Adapted from Cooking Light