Slow Cooker Mexican Bean and Brown Rice Stew is great comfort food. It warms you from the inside, and it smells terrific while it cooks in the crock pot.
It’s also fun to let your family garnish each bowl however the want – cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, fresh herbs, avocado, whatever suits your fancy.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
What kind of broth should I use?
We use Better than Bouillon vegetable base (paste) all the time around here. I wrote this stew recipe using it, but if you don’t have any, feel free to substitute your favorite broth or stock for the water and omit the vegetable paste. You can see the Better than Bouillon vegetable base through my Amazon affiliate link here.
What kind of brown rice should I use?
For the brown rice in this recipe, you can simply use regular medium grain brown rice, or you can switch it up a little by using a blend of whole grains. Sometimes I like to use a blend of barley, black rice, rye berries, red rice, and brown rice.
It all cooks up pretty similarly, so feel free to use those blends. I’ve seen several different mixes at the grocery stores, so keep an eye out for fun new mixes to try.
Nice big slow cooker meal
This lovely Stew makes a big crock pot full for dinner, which means there’s lots of leftovers. The stew thickens as it sits, so it’ll be thicker the next day.
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Slow Cooker Mexican Bean and Brown Rice Stew Recipe
Slow Cooker Mexican Bean and Brown Rice Stew
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 can 15 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 6 ounce tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon vegetable base
- 1 can 4 ounce diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 can 15.25 ounce white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can 4.25 ounce diced black olives
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook until it starts to brown, about 20 minutes. Add chopped red pepper, and cook about 7-10 minutes until softened. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt. Cook until fragrant, a couple of minutes.
- While the onion cooks, add the water, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon base, and diced green chiles to the bowl of the crock pot or slow cooker. Once the onion mixture with all the spices has finished cooking, stir it into the wet ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 3 hours on low (preferred) or 2 hours on high.
- Mix the beans, brown rice, and olives into the crock pot, and continue to cook, turning the crock pot to HIGH setting, for an additional 2 hours.
- Serve, topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, oregano, or toppings of your choice.