Braised Tofu in a full flavored vegan sauce. I give you: Copycat Chipotle Sofritos in the Slow Cooker or crock pot. This one is a keeper!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
Sourcing this recipe
I decided to try my hand at making a Copycat Chipotle Sofritos; I started at the source for inspiration. Chipotle gives all kinds of info on their Sofritos on their website.
I took a couple of liberties, like I used red bell pepper instead of green because we like the flavor better. But I also used poblanos for a little spicy kick and a bit of that green color.
And, mine is made in a crock pot or slow cooker. That makes it really easy to serve at a party – football party, tailgate, pool party, whatever – and you can have something tasty, vegan, and healthy at a party! Win win!
We decided to make this Copycat Chipotle Sofritos to take to a party, and I’m so glad we made it! It was delicious! My version makes quite a bit because it’s for a large gathering, but it’s pretty easy to cut the recipe in half if you’d like. Also, I made mine on the less spicy/heat side.
If you want more heat in yours, simply increase the amount of chipotle paste. I could even see going up to a tablespoon of chipotle paste for a nice spicy heat. But, increase the amount by a teaspoon each time and taste after stirring so that you don’t go too hot. Remember, you can always add more, but you can’t take it out.
How to serve
Serve these Copycat Chipotle Sofritos with all your favorite taco fixings! Guacamole, salsa, shredded lettuce, chopped cabbage, sour cream, cheese, whatever you like!
These are also great for a party because they’re made in the crock pot or slow cooker. It stays nice and warm while you’re off having fun!
The Chipotle Paste is something I always keep around in my kitchen. It’s really easy to make it yourself, and it’s a great time saver once it’s made. Find the instructions here.
Roast the poblanos and the red peppers. I like to roast mine on the grill, outside. But I have detailed instructions here on how to do them on the stove top and in the oven as well.
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Copycat Chipotle Sofritos in the Slow Cooker Recipe
Copycat Chipotle Sofritos in the Slow Cooker
- 3 (14 ounce packages) extra firm tofu, water drained, and tofu cut in half lengthwise
- 2 poblanos
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 sweet onion coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste or more if you’d like it spicier
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons oil for frying
- Layer your cutting board with a clean cotton towel and three layers of paper towels. Place tofu slices on top of the towels. Place a layer of three more paper towels on top of tofu, and cover with another cotton towel. Carefully place another cutting board or cookie sheet on top of the towels. Stack something heavy on top of the board, like a cast iron skillet, a large can of beans, heavy bowl or other weight to press down on tofu. Let sit for at least fifteen minutes, and up to one hour.
- While the tofu is pressed, roast the poblanos and the red peppers, until well charred and blackened. Allow to cool, peel, and remove seeds and membranes. Roughly chop all four peppers, setting one chopped red pepper aside and place the remaining 3 peppers in the bowl of a blender.
- Add the chopped onion, tomato paste, water, spices, salt, and chipotle paste to the bowl of the blender. Process until smooth. Pour the sauce into a crock pot.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet. Working in batches, fry the tofu slices until golden brown. Cut tofu into cubes, and press of some of the cubes to shred the tofu.
- Add cooked tofu and the reserved chopped red pepper to the crock pot and stir to coat the tofu in the sauce.
- Cook tofu on low for 2-4 hours. Serve Copycat Chipotle Sofritos in tacos, burritos, bowls, tostadas, any way you like!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.