Mexican White Bean Soup
This post contains affiliate links which help support this blog. Thanks!
This delicious Mexican White Bean soup is vegan (if you leave the sour cream off or you can use a non-dairy sour cream*) and Gluten-Free (and a lot of soups aren’t). The thickness and creaminess of the soup comes from the pureed beans. I love Mexican food, so this soup fits right into my dinner plans. It’s easy to put together, and it’s budget-friendly (even more budget-friendly if you use dried beans).
As you read through the ingredients, you will come across ‘Smoked Paprika‘. If you’re like me, you read that and think that there’s no way you need another spice in your cupboard. “I already have paprika, I can’t possibly need smoked paprika as well.”
Well, my lovely friend, they are that different that I’d highly recommend getting them both in your cupboard. I got the smoked one free at the grocery store (buy 2 spices, get one free), so I thought I’d try it. It. Is. Amazing. I put it one all kinds of things, from “chikn” to roasted veggies to soup. It gives everything a nice smoky BBQ flavor. Complex and just super yummy.
I think this soup could also be great with some added shrimp or chicken. Also, the salsa verde can be homemade or store-bought. Just remember that if you’re salsa’s hot, your soup will be too (the sour cream will help to cool it down).
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
Use a handheld immersion blender to blend slightly if desired.
*Vegan sour cream: there are several store-bought versions. Or, you can make your own by blending 1/2 pound tofu, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce until smooth.
Mexican White Bean Soup Recipe
Mexican White Bean Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth homemade preferred
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can Cannellini White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa verde
- Sour cream*
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Avocado sliced
- Additional smoked paprika for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, cook onion until nicely browned, about 20-30 minutes, stirring often, and adding some water to the pot if the onion is beginning to burn. Once onion is caramelized, add carrots and garlic to the pot, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Add broth, water, and beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Remove 1 cup of the beans and carrots, and set aside. Working in batches, transfer mixture, one-third at a time, to a blender, and blend until smooth. Or, use a handheld immersion blender to blend slightly.
- Return to reserved veggies to the pot, along with the blended soup. Stir the salsa verde into soup; heat through.
- Top with sour cream, cilantro, avocado, and a dash of smoked paprika.