Simple Oven Roasted Beets are like vegetable candy. I mean, just look at all those candy colors and beautiful patterns and textures. And, the taste of Roasted Beets is out of this world. Sweet, earthy, robust, root vegetable, like pure veggie candy! And, all this yummy sweetness, and they’re still healthy!
How to roast beets in the oven
So I thought I’d share my easy recipe for how to roast beets in the oven.
I like to cook beets without foil – no wrapping involved. I just roast them open in the oven.
I’ll often pick up a bunch of beets, roast them up, and have a nice healthy vegan snack.
If you find the pretty colored ones at the Farmer’s Market, or even at the grocery store, give them a try. The different colors do have different flavors. The farmer or the grocery should be able to tell you which are sweeter or more flavorful.
The portion that most people think of when we talk about beets is actually the root of the plant.
The beet, also known as the beetroot, has lots of health benefits (just like the beet green – see below). It may lower blood pressure, help prevent some cancers, cleanse the liver, treat anemia, help prevent macular degeneration, improve blood circulation; they are also high in vitamins and minerals. Want to read more on the health benefits of beets, take a look at the World’s Healthiest Foods.
Don’t just throw them away!
Beet greens can be used in a salad, sautéed, boiled, used in a gratin, toss them in a soup, add them to a smoothie, add them to pasta, garnish a plate with them, and you can also toss them in the composter.
Beet greens are low in fat and cholesterol. They have good amounts of protein, phosphorus, and zinc. They’re a great source of fiber, packed with antioxidants, high in vitamin B-6, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese.
Serve Roasted Beets
- In a salad, as in my Farmer’s Market Salad
- With goat cheese
- With a splash of balsamic vinegar
- With feta cheese
- As a simple colorful veggie side dish
I love roasting veggies. Here are some of my other favorites:
Click on the photo to get to the recipe
Simple Oven Roasted Beets
Oven Roasted beets
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Clean beets of any dirt and loose roots by rubbing the raw beets with your fingers under cool tap water. (You may get some red stains on your hands; don’t worry, it’ll wash off.) If your beets are large, or of varying sizes you’ll want to half or quarter them. They should all be about the same size when they go in the oven.
- Place cleaned and prepped beets in a roasting pan, baking dish, or in a cast iron skillet. Drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and toss to coat. Place the pan in the oven, and roast until the beets are fork tender, about 45 minutes if the beets are small or medium in size. If they’re large, the roasting process may take longer, maybe 60 minutes.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.