This Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Sandwich with Caramelized Onions is a vegetarian delight! Hummus, caramelized onions, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes.
The only thing that would make it better is some avocado (but, alas, mine weren’t ripe yet!).
I served this sammie on onion rolls (kind of emphasizing the oniony-ness). Any tasty bread will work. I’d recommend toasting or grilling the bread so that it holds up to the moist hummus. Layer on your favorite fillings, and nosh!
I love caramelized onions in pretty much anything. They just take a little time and patience, but the flavor that they have is sweet and earthy, and they complement pretty much everything.
When I take the time to caramelize onions, it makes the dish seem complex and finished.
I usually make mine on the stove. A little bit of oil, a lot of stirring, (and here’s the trick) add a little water if they start browning too quickly or too much.
That being said, if you’d like a fool-proof slow cooker method, hop over to see my friends at Full Belly Sisters.
Oh, and this hummus is great with crackers or veggies as a dip, don’t feel restricted to using it as a sandwich filling. We’ve been eating the extra as a snack.
And, I’ll be making a second batch this weekend for a birthday celebration.
Tips for making great sandwiches
Sandwich Week (week 1)
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons water as needed
- Roast red pepper following stove top or grill method. Or, roast in broiler at 500° F until charred, turning frequently for about 10 minutes. Remove from stove or oven and let cool. Remove skin, seeds, and membranes, and pat dry with a paper towel. Coarsely chop pepper.
- Add chickpeas, roasted red pepper, garlic, spices, tahini, and olive oil to a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If too thick add water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.